Residents in Daventry are being urged to take care with rubbish disposal, after a spate of suspected arsons in the town centre area.
In a three month period from September to December, Daventry saw 14 fires, which were believed to be deliberate.
Some of these fires involved rubbish containers including a skip and, in one case, a wheelie bin. Other incidents involved targets such as cars and outdoor storage.
Daventry firefighters and the Arson Task Force would like to remind people there are steps that can be taken to help prevent arson and minimise the damage of potential deliberate fires.
Work to tackle arson is ongoing in the Daventry area as part of Operation Unite, which involves Northamptonshire Police, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service, Daventry District Council and other partners.
Arson Task Force Officer Andy Evans said: “We are disappointed to see the number of recent fires in Daventry which are believed to have been arson.
“Deliberately set fires can cause serious damage to property and could potentially endanger life, so we take these incidents very seriously.
“We will be continuing to work with local residents and are today releasing some safety advice about the steps people can take to help prevent certain locations being targeted by this type of offender.
“Even something as simple as putting out rubbish on the correct day can be enough to at least minimise the risk that it could be set alight.”
Anyone with information about incidents of deliberate fire setting is asked to call Northamptonshire Police on 101, or 999 in an emergency.
Arson prevention advice:
- Avoid placing bins, rubbish, or other combustible items against the walls of your home. These are a ready supply of fuel for an arsonist.
- If rubbish can only be stored alongside your building, then please avoid putting it directly against the wall of your home, to minimise the chance of fire spreading.
- Do not allow rubbish to accumulate in areas outside your home. Piles of discarded waste can be targets for deliberate fire setters.
- Ensure you only place rubbish out for collection on the correct day.
- Maintain good security in and around your home. Remember to close and lock any gates. Lock doors and windows when you go out. Make sure fencing is in a good state of repair.
- Consider installing security lighting at your home to deter intruders.
- Sheds and garages should be locked. Do not leave flammable liquids in the open.
- If you see fly-tipped waste, then please report this immediately. Fly-tipped rubbish in the Daventry area can be reported by calling 01327 871100.